BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, February 5, 2010

Professions

Greetings Everyone!


I took a break from the blog last night (even though I probably shouldn't) because, well, I had a raid to get to.


So, after the semi-decent ICC run, I felt guilty for blowing off my blog, so I pondered all night about what I wanted to write about today and all I could come up with was professions. 


I have recently read a few forums, whatever, where people were comparing their RL professions to the professions they've chosen in-game with the obvious notion that you choose your professions based on your RL personality. I do not agree with this at all, and here's why:

  1. I know you've all been wondering what I do for a living, when I'm not writing this incredibly insightful blog...okay, maybe not. Well anyway, in real life, I work in Tech Support. I know, it's so completely glamorous that you don't know how to react. (Note: I am working to get out of tech support ASAP as I feel I am over-qualified to be taking phone calls from crappy customers who don't know where the Start menu is located).
  2. My professions in-game, and if you've looked up from the armory you'd know are: Tailoring and Enchanting. 
    1. Tailoring might exist in real life, and maybe at one point I wished I could make my own clothes because I watched Project Runway and thought, maybe, that'd be cool, but I in no way want to be a seamstress nor do I want to be one of those people you bring your pants to because you've gained weight, lost weight, etc. (like on that horrible yogurt commercial).
    2. Enchanting, I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong -- doesn't really exist in RL. I don't know what I'd compare it to...mostly because I haven't thought about it enough.
  3. Sure, blacksmithing, mining, alchemy, herbalism, fishing, cooking, first aid, leatherworking, engineering, skinning, jewelcrafting, etc. exist in RL in some fashion, but do you really think that a person (let's say Warrior) chose to take up blacksmithing because either a) he's a blacksmith in RL or b) he has always wanted to be a blacksmith? I don't think so...
Now you all might completely disagree with me, and that's fine. However, the way I see it is that you choose a profession based on  your character's needs. If your character just needs gold and you don't care about anything else, you might pick up those gathering professions that make my eyes bleed. If your character (like mine) wears a certain type of armor that can be created and it might save you money in the long-run to simply craft items, you might pick up something like, tailoring or blacksmithing or leatherworking. 

I think, rather than professions, we choose our character class or race or faction based on our personalities. I don't know how to justify the fact that my main character is a mage and that I am a hordie by heart with tidbits from my personality in RL, but I know the link has to exist somewhere.

I hate hate hate playing a DK, why? It has nothing to do with melee fighting, but more than likely fight mechanics or something like that. I know for a fact that I do not want to play a healer -- most likely because I don't want the group I play with to rely on me for something important -- like, living or dying. I think in RL, I probably don't want people to depend on me too much, either. Not to say that I'm not dependable, because I am -- if you ask me to be somewhere, I'll be there, and I'll probably be early. I just don't think I want the stress that might come if people started depending on me for important things, so I tend to stray away from that type of persona even in my fantasy land.

My mage is a boom-pow. The purpose of my mage is to top DPS charts while using different skills and abilities to make them an almost essential part of a group (intellect buffs, focus magic, mana biscuits, remove curse, polymorph, spellsteal, etc.). This, is me. 

I want to be at the top of almost everything I do. I want to be doing my best, so I play a character that can offer me that (most of the time). I have skills and abilities in real life that might make me an essential member of a team or project. 

So, I feel like I've ranted a bit -- but oh wellz, if you got this far, I guess I can give you hope that it's almost over. 

People don't pick professions because of their personality rather, they pick everything else.



0 comments: