BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Power Infusion...wha..?

Okay, per the request of Miss Medicina, I decided I was going to write about the lovely happy magic that a Disc Priest and an Arcane Mage can create together (although, I'm sure any spell-caster would appreciate the "boom-pow" as well). So anyway, it begins like this:


Havoca prances along, slayin' beasts, when all of a sudden she looks at her buff-o-meter and finds Power Infusion listed there.


Havoca cries out, "WHAT is power infusion and WHY is it sooooooo awesome???"


She doesn't do much research on the subject, rather, she turns her attention towards her rotation and downing some boss in some room somewhere in Ulduar. 


A while later she is asked by lil' Miss Medicina, "Hey, do you like that power infusion I keep putting on you?" 


"Power wha...what's going on...how are you awesome?", Havoca responds with stellar quality.


The end.


I know, I should write suspense novels for a living. 


So anyway, once we finished up our run, I decided to do a bit of research (mostly on WoWWiki, and here's what I found out.


  1. To use Power Infusion you need to have an awesome Disc Priest who's willing to give the buff to someone other than themselves.
  2. The buff itself gives an increase in spell casting speed by 20% and reduces the mana cost of all spells by 20%.
  3. The buff only lasts 15 seconds and has a 2 minute cooldown.
  4. The buff does not stack with: Arcane Power, Icy Veins, or Heroism/Bloodlust (from the Shammy) or any other self-only haste increase buffs.
  5. Should be able to be stacked with Trinket effects. Cha-Ching--but, if you're like me, I usually use my trinkets when I'm using my other haste buffs.
So, especially as a mage, it's important to see when you've been popped with Power Infusion because we have a lot of spells that can counter it. The best way to prevent any kind of countering is to, obviously, pay attention. Don't cast Arcane Power or Icy Veins if you've just been popped with Power Infusion

The end result is that I'd probably have done a lot more DPS if I had been aware of the countering spells that I can cast, because I definitely am haste-cast happy. So next time, I'll be paying a LOT more attention.

Oh, and be sure to reciprocate the generosity of that disc priest with some good ol' Focus Magic

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*sigh* our arcane mages won't give my disc priest Focus Magic. I love that buff....

I have a bad habit of forgetting to use Power Infusion on the DPS casters because I'm never sure when a good time to use it is. I have found a macro that will /w the recipient, so I might do that - that way they know they have the buff :)

Calli said...

Don't forget to beg your pocket priest for shielding too. In combination with Incanters' Absorption it gives a hefty boost to your dps.