BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, February 19, 2010

Absolutely Pointless

Okay, so I know I haven't posted anything in a while, and I apologize for this. I was wanting to do like a "post with some artwork" sort of thing, but I haven't felt compelled to draw anything. 


I thought, "I should draw my raid group"...but man, that's a lot of work..


Then I thought "I should draw some more ICC bosses"...but unless I was fighting the boss and it was amazing, I didn't know what to write to tie into the boss drawing.


So I gave up, and just decided to spend a little more time talking about how addicted I am to changing my UI.


Since my last post where I talked about the mods I use, etc. I have completely gone full-force into changing and modifying my UI and trying different things -- including: MACROS.


Now, I've never been a macro person (when it comes to gaming at least -- macros for Excel rock my life), so when I decided to create my first macro, I had absolutely no clue what I wanted. 


I started with something simple: Ice Block. 


Ice Block is the mage's "Oh Scheisse" handle. It comes in extremely handy when you're not watching Omen and you pull all the threat and the boss comes storming at you and you know you're a clothie' and that you probably won't even be able to take one hit from him (or her, accordingly). So when that happens, you cast Ice Block and you end up being surrounded by Ice and you're immune to the poundage that you'd ultimately face in the end. 


The downside:  Ice Block lasts 30 seconds, which is FAR too long because most likely your tank will pick up the boss after about 2-3 seconds of you pulling the threat. So, you find yourself in Ice Block and you've got a few options (not an extensive list -- see a friggin' WoWWiki article if you want the full monty):


  1. Wait the full 30 seconds and do zero DPS during this time
  2. Right-click on your Ice Block "buff" to remove the block
  3. Create a way awesome macro that allows you to click one button to Ice Block and the same button to remove the effect
So anyway, what you've all been waiting for (and most of you have probably already created -- I'm way behind in the times) is the macro code:

/cast Ice Block
/cancelaura Ice Block

Yep, so that's it. The amazing code for my first macro -- yep, I'm a complete noob.

However, since that macro, I have created at least 2 more for my most used spells during raid boss fights (and the occasional instance if I feel like it). I'll share the code when I share my UI screenshot, because, quite frankly, I forget what they each do.


My UI (like I promised):




 I think I might stop there, though -- unless someone can tell me  some more mage macros that could be completely amazing if I created them.

Other than my macro frenzy, I, like I said above, am an addict to UI mods.

I have installed...a bunch...of them...and surprisingly...no crashing yet! I am completely happy with my UI at this point, but if anyone knows of anything terrifically mage related that is  A MUST HAVE ...please...tell..me.

The end. I promise I will write more and better...more better.

                        

5 comments:

Tiex said...

Wow, that's one nice, clean UI. =D

Which addon exactly did you use to place that frame down there, with the map in the middle?

I'm thinking about cleaning my UI a bit, but Vuhdo would never fit in there, especially on 25's. Maybe I could leave him out of that frame, but keep the rest...

Havoca said...

It's called Spartan UI and is available through curse. Do note, with this download, a few other mods are installed like Bartender4, etc. Also, whenever you go AFK, it pans the video around your character. Took me a while to figure out what was doing that :) But hey thanks!

Tiex said...

Oh, that makes a bit more sense now.

So, you used the Spartan UI to get that frame down there, but it was really bartender that allowed you to drag the minimap and arrange your bars that way, right?

I have bartender downloaded, but it gave me such a headache to put everything the way I wanted in my DK that I decided not to hurt my head so much with the priest XD

The portrait with the health and mana bars is also from Spartan?

Thanks in advance =)

Havoca said...

The Spartan UI includes the map placed in the bottom frame, the updated portrait configuration, and the bar configuration. It does not include recount, mage nuggets, or decursive (which are also down there --I manually put them down there). Hope this helps. If you have any more questions about what I've got...let me know!

Thanks!

Amoros said...

I tend to use some macros basically for more "quality of life" changes to my buttons.

An example:

#showtooltip Conjured Mana Strudel
/use [button:1] Conjured Mana Strudel
/cast [button:2] Conjure Refreshment
/cast [button:3] Ritual of Refreshment

That way if I make the macro icon the question mark, '#showtooltip "spell name"' will show the icon of the spell. Left clicking it will use my strudel in my bags, right clicking will conjure some strudel, and clicking it with my scroll wheel will create a mage table.

It take a little while to get used to but you can really free up some bar space if you consolidate similar buffs and spells into one button.